Brother Wolfgang, one of three “ Wolves” in our community along with Abbot Innocent and Father Ferdinand, like them, was born in Germany, he in 1868. He entered the novitiate of the abbey in 1895 and made vows the following year.
Brother Wolfgang worked on the dairy portion of what was then called The College Farm, known later as the South Farm. He lived there in the Stone House along with others of the Brothers. Later he was a handyman for the German Sisters who cooked for the college and abbey. Later he kept the fires going for the bakery. While he lived on the lower campus he walked up to the new abbey on the hill to be with his brothers. He and Brother Tony Eckstaller were fast friends.
His native country's role during both of the World Wars pained him and other German-born members of the community. Brother Wolfgang died of cancer at St. Margaret’s Hospital, Kansas City, Kan., on January 13, 1942. He is remembered as a kind, hard working and conscientious monk.