The monks of St. Benedict’s Abbey are seeking a Catholic who is passionate about supporting religious life and sharing the Catholic faith with the world as the Director of Advancement. In this role, the Director of Advancement personally represents St. Benedict’s Abbey and ignites benefactors and potential benefactors to passion and action in supporting the prayer and work of the monks. The Director of Advancement maintains a portfolio of benefactors; he/she conducts discovery, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of benefactors and potential benefactors. This position requires experience in development, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a desire to grow in understanding of the development field. Additionally, this position requires the ability to work as an effective team member in a fast-paced, result-driven environment. (Scroll to the bottom to apply)
- Oversees all gift solicitation for the Abbey: annual giving, planned giving, major gifts, capital campaigns, Abbot’s Table Banquet solicitations, and appeals for other funds
- Develops and maintains a portfolio of benefactors and broadens the base of new benefactors. Makes personal gift solicitations of these prospects. Records all contact with potential benefactors and sends thank you cards to all benefactors following visits, and confirms that the database is updated.
- Shares the mission of the Abbey and the joy of the Catholic faith with benefactors in order to encourage their own relationship with Christ
- Oversees, schedules, and conducts face-to-face benefactor visits; expects to travel 10-15 days per month (Primarily day trips. e.g. in the Kansas City area) and overnight trips as required for face-to-face visits in more distant places.
- Oversees, develops, and implements strategy and tactics regarding the development system: discovery, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gift.
- Collaborates with the Advancement Board & coordinates meetings
- Works in collaboration with other Advancement Staff on relationships with potential key benefactors
- Meets regularly with supervisor(s) and attends all appropriate meetings within the Advancement Office
- Attends and participates in Advancement Office and Abbey events as required
Fiscal Year Goals
- Conducts 240 or more face-to-face benefactor visits each year (approximately 20 or more per month) and reviews goals monthly with supervisor
- Helps meet or exceed the specified annual financial goal set by the Abbot and Business Manager
- Regularly attends events each month where current or potential benefactors are the attendees
- Deep knowledge of the Catholic faith
- Ability to work with advancement team, specifically through digital communication
- 3+ years of development experience
- Knowledge of grant writing and research preferred