The theme for this year’s retreats is the Life of St. Benedict. We will examine the stories from the life of our founder and patron, our holy father Saint Benedict, as written by Pope St. Gregory the Great in his book, The Life and Miracles of St. Benedict. A copy of this book will be provided for you. These simple and enjoyable stories provide many great spiritual insights into God’s plan of salvation for you. There is much we can learn by way of application. The greatest application of his life was the Rule of St. Benedict, which has upheld Western monastic life for over 1500 years. What can you take away by a close reading of his life? How can he inspire you to live more devoutly?
Fr. Jay Kythe, OSB
Abbey Retreat Master
St. Benedict’s Abbey
1020 North Second St
Atchison, KS 66002
Phone: 913-367-7853 (Abbey Switchboard)
These retreats begin with Vespers (Evening Prayer) on Friday at 5 pm and conclude after lunch on Sundays. There will be prayer times with the monks, conferences, opportunities for confession and spiritual direction, rest and relaxation, walks along the bluffs of the Missouri River, a social time with the monks, and many other activities to recharge you spiritually on the retreat.
We ask for a free will offering of $175 to cover costs. All accommodations are double rooms in our Abbey Guest House (sorry, we cannot offer single rooms). When you register for the retreat, you will have the opportunity to mark whether you want a room in our Guest House or if you will stay elsewhere. You will also have the opportunity to choose a roommate (who will have to register separately). Commuters are welcome too. Linens are provided. Meals will be in our monastic refectory (dining hall). Please indicate on the registration form if you have any dietary restrictions. A separate kitchen facility is also available on the ground floor of the Guest House.
The typical schedule for our Abbey weekend retreats:
- 4:00 pm Arrival (Abbey Guest House and Check-in)
- 5:00 p.m. Vespers (Abbey)
- 5:25 p.m. Introduction to the Retreat and Teaching on Monastic Prayer (Abbey)
- 6:10 p.m. Dinner (Refectory) and Free Time
- 7:30 p.m. Compline (Abbey)
- 8:00 p.m. Conference #1 (Center Crypt)
- 5:45 a.m. Vigils and Morning Prayer (Abbey)
- 6:20 a.m. Lectio Divina / Private Prayer
- 7:00 a.m. Breakfast (Refectory)
- 8:00 am Conference #2 (Center Crypt)
- 9:00 am Confessions / Spiritual Direction (Guest House Parlor Rooms)
- until 11:00 am; Free Time
- 11:45 a.m. Midday Prayer (Abbey)
- 12:10 p.m. Conventual Mass (Abbey)
- 12:55 p.m. Lunch (Refectory)
- 1:45 pm Conference #3 (Center Crypt)
- 4:30 pm Conference #4 (Center Crypt)
- 5:45 p.m. Vespers (Abbey)
- 6:10 p.m. Dinner (Refectory)
- 7:00 p.m. Holy Hour for Vocations with Compline (Abbey / St. Joseph Chapel)
- 8:00 p.m. Social with Monks (Guest House Ground Floor Lounge)
- 6:30 a.m. Vigils and Morning Prayer (Abbey)
- 7:10 a.m. Breakfast (Refectory)
- 8:00 a.m. Conference #5
- 10:00 a.m. Abbey-Student Mass (Abbey)
- 12:05 p.m. Midday Prayer (Abbey)
- 12:15 p.m. Lunch (Refectory) – Retreat ends with lunch
Holy Week Retreat, March 28 – April 1, 2018
This retreat is primarily for Benedictine College students and recent alumni. We ask for a free will offering of $30. Accommodations are in your college-assigned residences. A limited number of rooms are available in the Abbey Guest House.
There will be opportunities for spiritual conferences, much free time for prayer and reflection, praying with the monks, an outdoor Stations of the Cross, and other activities. It is designed to help you to enter into the beautiful liturgies of the Holy Triduum and Easter, to drink deeply of the well of the mysteries of salvation that we reflect upon during this most sacred time.
The theme for the retreat is not yet set. Click here to register.
Private Group Retreats
Various Groups may use our facilities for private retreats. We may provide conferences based on the above theme, or you may be self-directed. Please click here or contact me with the information below if you are interested in a retreat for your group, and we’ll get back to you regarding accommodation availability and cost.
Silent, directed or undirected retreats are available. There are many places within the Abbey Church and Crypt and on the Benedictine College campus to pray. We are located 45 minutes north of the Kansas City airport. The cost is $50 per night. Clergy discounts are available to priests, deacons, seminarians, and religious.
Accommodations are in our Abbey Guest House. The rooms are modest and simple. There is a lounge area with a TV on the ground floor. Linens are provided. Meals will be in our monastic refectory (dining hall) unless you wish to cook for yourself in the kitchen area located on the ground floor of the Guest House. Please indicate on the registration form if you have any dietary restrictions.
Please click here or contact me with the information below if you are interested in scheduling a private retreat. We will check our Guest House availability and get back to you.